- Moldy yogurt claimed unsafe, later turns out to be safe.
- Brain repair during sleep
- Surprising effects of a high-carb diet, a Quantified Self talk by Greg Pomerantz. His low carb diet — that is, his previous diet — was red meat, eggs, butter and green (non-starchy) vegetables. Low-carb paleo with butter. His HbA1c went from 5.6 (low-carb) to 5.5 (high-carb).
- Speaking of “doctors hurt you“, a letter to The New Yorker says that a herb common in Traditional Chinese Medicine causes liver cancer. “The traditional [medicinal] use of this family of highly nephrotoxic and carcinogenic herbs represents a significant problem for global public health.”
- Financial incentives increase C-sections
- Positive correlation between Alzheimer’s and cleanliness. In its use of principal component analysis and transformations (e.g., square root transformation), this paper is more sophisticated than most epidemiology.
Thanks to Alex Chernavsky.