- Japan Korea kimchi dispute
- Dirt restaurant in Tokyo. The dirt is treated to kill bacteria, which I think is a mistake.
- Around 2005, a teenager combined DNA analysis with public data to find his biological father (a good example of personal science — using science to help yourself). Recently some professional scientists showed this wasn’t a fluke. The teenager was far ahead of the professionals, in other words. Just as I discovered that my acne was antibiotic-resistant long before professional dermatologists discovered (or at least published) the idea that some acne was antibiotic-resistant.
- Edward Jay Epstein and Vladimir Nabokov. I told this story here.
- If high-school students designed their own school
Thanks to Alex Chernavsky.